Re: Search box and http://search.debian.org

On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 03:01:01PM +0200, Bas Zoetekouw wrote:
> As the "we're working on it" text has been there for as long as I can
> rememeber, I wonder is actually somebody is working on it.  If not,
> would anyone object to changing the search box on the homepage to use
> Google directly?  I think that would be much more user-friendly.
We used to use udmsearch which did do the job rather well.  It was
stopped when we had one of the main machines crash and we suddenly no
longer had a database server or any spare cpus to index it.

I still think it could do the job, the problem is not so much the
software (though there are some problems with it, more limitations
really) but hardware. Whatever we use, its going to get thumped.

  - Craig
--
Craig Small      GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
http://www.enc.com.au/                             csmall at : enc.com.au