Setting up a staging ground for etch release

Hi.

It was suggested to set up a page again that can be used to test
the website's appearance after the etch release like we did before
sarge. I'm currently setting this up on of my servers again.

A question that I have: For the sarge release I devised this
somewhat crude wml hack <if-stable-release> that enables us to
include content in the wml files and have it magically appear
once releases/info is changed for the release. This has the
advantage that it is really easy for all contributors to
understand and work with. It is somewhat limited though, especially
you can't stage the changes to e.g. releases/info itself.

Now I was wondering wether people think it would be worth
the additional complexity to set up an etch CVS branch for
this staging. The advantage is that one need not be so wary
about breaking the current webpage because the content is
separated, the dis-advantage is that all people wanting to
work on this (e.g. probably most of the translators) have
to checkout the second branch, too, have to keep track of
changes to both branches, etc.
And in the end someone has to do the, possibly ugly, merge
of the branch.

On the other hand it would be nice to test something like that
anyway so people can perhaps use this method for other tasks
(redesign anyone ;) ?).

What do you think?

Gruesse,
--