Re: Splitting up debian.css for the web pages and include quotes

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 12:20:36AM +0100, Jutta Wrage wrote:
[...]
> For the quotes, I have done a completely new page on my web-site:
>
> http://www.witch.westfalen.de/csstest/quotes/quotes.html
>
> This page contains all quotation marks, I have found somewhere
> (mostly Wikipedia) for now. To do that, I had to remove the language
> from html header and I hope, that works for everyone.

> German l10n group has already decided, which quotation mark
> alternative to take in a first step. For the other languages, I will
> add the first alternative, if there are more possibilities and you
> have no objections.

Found in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark#Angled_quotation_marks_in_various_European_languages
   Some languages, such as French or Italian, use angle quotation marks
   (chevrons or guillemets or duck-foot quotes) and add a quarter-em
   space (officially) (U+2005,  ) within the quotes. However,
   virtually all countries that have this rule now use the non-breaking
   space, because the difference between a non-breaking space and a
   four-per-em is virtually imperceptible, and the quarter-em is
   virtually always omitted in non-Unicode fonts. Even more commonly,
   people just put a normal space between the quotation marks because
   the non-break is not accessible through their keyboard layout. [Note:
   full-width non-breaking spaces have been used in examples for
   technical reasons]

Please have a look at the current debian.css, French quotes have been
fixed this way.  Nested quotation marks for French look also wrong to
me, I will send a message to our mailing list to discuss it.

Anyway I do not understand why you spend time on finding those
quotation marks for all languages; this is translators' job, simply
put debian.css files under their directory and they will take care
of it.
Thanks.

Denis