Re: removing the debian-legal website stuff?

Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> Shortly after creation this stalled however as nobody created
> summaries anymore, probably because for many discussions it proved
> to be difficult if not imopossible to summarise many of the discussions
> without either reproducing the entire discussion or to have an
> equally lengthy discussion about the summary...

My view is that the earlier stage of the summary drafting
process was used as a stick to beat debian-legal towards
firey heat death, so contributors simply stopped making
them. Maybe a new and totally uncontroversial licence will
come along, but anything which has DFSG-related questions
left open will almost always have some supporters and some
detractors, so not suit the red/green judgement.

> Since this hasn't really worked out I propose to delete this stuff again
> until someone comes up with a better idea how to better present the
> work of debian-legal.

I support deleting the summaries.  I think that page would
be good for a general description of how debian-legal works,
linking to unofficial documents as they are prepared and official
documents on other parts of the site. I had intended to write
this before, but I am still not up-to-date with wml.

Here is my suggested text:

certain licenses follow the
Guidelines</a> (DFSG).  Most of these opinions were formed in
discussions on the <a href="http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/";>\
debian-legal mailing list</a> in response to questions from
potential package maintainers or licensors.  We welcome
enquiries from maintainers considering particular licenses, but
we encourage most maintainers to use one of the common licenses:
GPL, LGPL, BSD or Artistic.</p>

categories.  There is free software (main), non-free software
(non-free), free software which depends on some non-free
software (contrib) and software which cannot be redistributed
(not included).
explains exactly how the DFSG
are applied to the archive.  If in doubt, maintainers are
asked to email debian-legal about licenses, including the text
of any new license into the body of the email.</p>

ftpmasters and the package maintainers.  However, if one cannot
convince most of the generally liberal debian-legal contributors,
it's probably not clear that the software follows the DFSG.</p>

Foundation</a> (FSF) and the
Initiative</a> (OSI).  Please note however, that
the Debian project decides on particular packages rather than
licenses in abstract, and the lists are general explanations. It
is possible to have a package containing software under a
"free" license with some other aspect that makes it non-free.
Sometimes, debian-legal comments on a license in abstract, not
applied to any particular software.  While these discussion
can suggest possible problems, often no firm answers can be
reached until some specific software is examined.</p>

about these summaries.</p>

<ul>
<li>GNU General Public License (common)</li>
<li>GNU Lesser General Public License (common)</li>
<li>GNU Library General Public License (common)</li>
<li>Modified BSD License (common)</li>
<li>Perl Artistic license (common)</li>
<li>Apache License</li>
<li>MIT/X11-style licenses</li>
<li>zlib-style licenses</li>
<li>LaTeX Project Public License</li>
<li>Python Software Foundation License</li>
<li>Ruby's License</li>
<li>Glasgow Haskell Compiler License</li>
<li>PHP License</li>
<li>W3C Software Notice and License</li>
<li>OpenSSL License</li>
<li>Sleepycat License</li>
<li>Common UNIX Printing System License Agreement</li>
<li>vhf Public License</li>
<li>"No problem Bugroff" license</li>
<li>public domain (not a license, strictly speaking)</li>
</ul>

please try to use the latest version and edit no more than necessary,
unless indicated otherwise.
Licenses marked (common) can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses
on a debian system.</p>

<ul>
<li>NVIDIA Software License</li>
<li>SCILAB License</li>
<li>Limited Use Software License Agreement</li>
<li>Non-Commercial License</li>
<li>FastCGI / Open Market License</li>
<li>LaTeX2HTML License</li>
<li>Open Publication License</li>
<li>Free Document Dissemination Licence</li>
<li>AT&T Open Source License</li>
<li>Apple Public Source License</li>
<li>Aladdin Free Public License</li>
<li>Generic amiwm License (an XV-style license)</li>
<li>Digital License Agreement</li>
<li>Moria/Angband license</li>
<li>Unarj License</li>
<li>id Software License</li>
<li>qmail terms</li>
</ul>

main archive.</p>

has no licence at all), even in non-free.</p>

<h2>Work in Progress</h2>

that answers some common questions about the DFSG and how to analyse
software.</a>

position statement about the FDL</a>
which is yet to be voted upon.</p>

to resolve DFSG-related problems with some of their licenses, as
on Evan's page</a> and
on debian-legal</a>.</p>

--
MJ Ray (slef), K.Lynn, England, email via http://mjr.towers.org.uk/