Re: removing the debian-legal website stuff?

On Tue, 24 May 2005 02:33:02 +0100 MJ Ray wrote:

> Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> > Shortly after creation this stalled however as nobody created
> > summaries anymore, probably because for many discussions it proved
> > to be difficult if not imopossible to summarise many of the
> > discussions without either reproducing the entire discussion or to
> > have an equally lengthy discussion about the summary...
>
> My view is that the earlier stage of the summary drafting
> process was used as a stick to beat debian-legal towards
> firey heat death, so contributors simply stopped making
> them.

That's probably true, but really really unfortunate, IMHO.

> Maybe a new and totally uncontroversial licence will
> come along, but anything which has DFSG-related questions
> left open will almost always have some supporters and some
> detractors, so not suit the red/green judgement.

Well, clearly non free licenses need almost no summary at all.
Summaries are useful especially to recall subtle issues that were found
out long before (so that we can avoid performing the same analyses over
and over again...).

> > Since this hasn't really worked out I propose to delete this stuff
> > again until someone comes up with a better idea how to better
> > present the work of debian-legal.
>
> I support deleting the summaries.

I agree that, as it is now, that page is not useful...  :-(
I hope that we can find a better way to keep track of past debian-legal
discussions: otherwise we are at risk of forgetting the issues that were
discovered and/or deciding in inconsistent ways about similar clauses...

> I think that page would
> be good for a general description of how debian-legal works,
> linking to unofficial documents as they are prepared and official
> documents on other parts of the site. I had intended to write
> this before, but I am still not up-to-date with wml.
>
> Here is my suggested text:
[...]

I read it and it seems quite good.
Well done!  :)

--
    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4