phonetic transcription of debian?

As a linguist, I must ask about the phonetic transcription of /debian/ found at the end of http://www.debian.org/intro/about. The second phoneme indicated signals to me an 'e' sound made such as in made, fade, raid, jade, etc. However the 'e' sound in Debra sounds to me as fred, dead, red, instead (second syllable), bed.

Is Ian Murdock or his wife of a region where Debra would be pronounced as in the first set of words, or in the second? If in the second, I might suggest replacing the second phoneme in the transcription with the Open-Mid, Front, Non-rounded vowel on this chart: http://www.arts.gla.ac.uk/ipa/vowels.html

(The non-rounded being the left vowel in the pair of Open-Mid, Front vowels).

Many thanks for the answers,

--Aaron Dulles-Coelho (Debian user)