Re: Don't put 8bit characters into consultant.data!

* Luk Claes <luk.claes@ugent.be> [2004-12-16 14:35]:
> Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
>|  consultant.data is *not* meant to contain /any/ 8bit characters. There
>| is no encoding defined for that file and it gets used in all the
>| languages directly, ending up with b0rked characters on the webpages,
>| especially in non-latin and utf8 environments (like japanese).
>
> Sorry, I overlooked the 'accent circonflex' in the address of Ankeo.

 And yet again a pound symbol in the "Added Viridian Sun (req. on
04-07-29)" entry....

 There is a reason why there is the comment at the top of the file. :-/

> You are right to complain and to keep remembering us to use valid HTML
> entities, but please try to be gentle.

 I suggest anyone to edit this file (and others that have the same
problem, like vendors.CD or similar files that I stumble upon every now
and then): Use some editor that lets you search for 8bit characters.
Here is a quick recipe for how to do it with vim:

/[^Vx80-^VxFF]

 That is, ctrl-v for ^V and the rest typed as seen, it gets displayed
like:

/[~@-&yuml;]  (where &yuml; is y with umlauts -- don't want to send 8bit
characters in an explenation :) -- at least it looks that in my locale,
am not sure how it might look in some utf8 or other locale.

 Toddy, 0xA0 (shift-space?) is an 8bit character, too.
Alfie
--
Each SPAMmer should be sued to recycle every single bit of nettraffic he caused.
                                  -- me, 2001-10-09