Re: Debian WWW CVS commit by peterk: webwml/swedish/distrib archive.wml

Hi, this is a topic I have to comment :)

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 06:24:28PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:36:49AM +0200, Peter Karlsson wrote:
> > > Please note that the proper name of a release doesn't have a capital
> > > letter.
> >
> > Proper names have capital letters, so I am always writing the release
> > names with upper-case letters, and fixing those that I have missed
> > earlier.
> >
> > BTW, I also believe the usage of the release names without initial
> > capital is incorrect in the English pages.
>
> These names are not made according to English literary language.
> Even if they were, dictionary tells me proper names are usually
> capitalized, not always.
>
> In any event, I believe we quote or italicize them on every web page;
> if not, that can be fixed.

I am very aware of Josip's opinion and traditional thoughts expressed on
this thread.  Despite of this, I use capitalized distribution name in my
"Debian Reference".  Excuse me :)

I was standing on Josip's side initially but my English proof reader
disagreed and he insisted as follows.

-----

1. General Notes [for all languages]

  Debian distribution codenames are uppercase and untagged (Woody, Sarge) when
  used in a general sense. The distribution categories (stable, testing,
  unstable, frozen) are tagged with <tt> when referred to in a general sense:

    Do not track <tt>unstable</tt> unless you know what you're doing.

  Use a <file> tag when the reference is to the location of a distribution
  name on a physical filesystem:

    directory.

  Note: "woody" is lowercase above because the reference is to a system name.
  Note that trailing "/" after "woody" to clarify that it is a directory.
  "stable" in the second example has one, too. But in the first example, where
  "stable" is explicitly called a directory, the "/" is not required.

---

Yes tags (<file>, <tt>)are in debiandoic-sgml but any of these tags
produce constant pitch fonts which imply they are computer I/O such as
sources.list.

I see Developer Reference in html uses quoted `woody' too.

---
Just curious, how bad is my action :)

Osamu