Re: My mess under international/l10n

* Martin Quinson <mquinson@ens-lyon.fr> [2003-09-09 16:13]:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 02:45:16PM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
>>  There is just one question still open that I tried to get an answer to:
>> What are those lines preceeded with ;;; in the various templ.src files?
>> Are they meant as comment (why wasn't wml comment # used, then!), or are
>> they meant as something different and should be translated?
>
> ;;; is the comment sign for wml.

 First that I heard of, first that I see it.  And while digging the
documentation for I found the following in mp4h(1):

       similar to HTML, with tags and attributes.  One important feature has
       no equivalent in HTML: comments until end of line.  All text following
       three colons is discarded until end of line, like

          ;;;  This is a comment

 I see.   So ;;; is *no* comment sign for wml, it is a comment sign for
wml_p2_mp4h. This means that stuff inside these "comments" are still
evaluated through wml_p1_ipp, see below.

> # is the comment sign for perl,

 Partly true.

> and you can have perl code in wml, but # outside perl sections denotes
> special commands like file inclusion, just as in C.

 Not really:
       Comments

       IPP provides support for up-to-end-of-line comments.  This type of com-
       ment is like the one found in Bourne-Shell or Perl, i.e. any line which
       starts with a sharp symbol (`"#"') is entirely (i.e. including the new-
       line at the end) removed from the input. Additionally these lines can
       have whitespaces in front of the sharp symbol. When you really need a
       sharp symbol at the start of a line you can use "\#", i.e. prefix it
       with an escaping backslash.
(from wml_p1_ipp(1))

 So when using ;;; instead of # as comment leader you are passing the
content through ipp which does expand $(foo) style variables.  I would
suggest to switch to ipp style comments instead of mp4h style comments
to avoid this (and maybe improve compile performance a little bit, I
don't know).

 But that is just my opinion....
Alfie [going to fix his wml.vim syntax file wrt/ mp4h style comments :]
--
Aber der Aufwand Linux zu installieren und vim zu lernen ist *IMMER*
geringer, als Outlook das Schreiben von vernünftigen Mails beizubringen. ;)