Re: [wwwac] New (to me at least) spammer tactic

--- Steve Manes <smanes@magpie.com> wrote:
> This HTML spam sailed right through my filter:
>
> P<kjgh2na1iaryaq>en<kw53mm51auh3003>is
> En<k4bcke7a8df4>larg<kqsfx7bifo01v3>eme<kt8br9tkdbdd01>nt

I've seen simple letter spacing techniques used like:
V * I * A * G * R * A

But the worst ones are with headers like "hey" or "re:" with come from addresses with real
sounding names - I always get suckered into opening them because you never know.

I've been trying to get my e-mail address removed from public websites.

I've contacted the twits at Debian.org a few times with no luck:
http://lists.debian.org/spi-general/2000/spi-general-200002/msg00006.html

What's bad about this is that my address is there because someone else cc:ed me on a mailing list.
You can bitch all you like about Microsoft, but they never put my e-mail address on a website
without my permission. I've asked to be removed in the past only to be told "that they couldn't
because it's a volunteer organization".

What's even worse is that two other websites have reproduced the posts off of their websites:

http://archive.develooper.com/perl6-porters@perl.org/msg00095.html

By the way NYLUG has done this to me as well:

http://www.nylug.org/mlist/nylug-talk_mhonarc/2001-09/msg00214.html

So if you are ever wondering why you may be getting spam at your e-mail address on the wwwac list
it may be because someone on the list without thinking posted it to an HTML page.

It wouldn't be so bad, but I'm getting over 100 spams per day on average - but I need to keep my
e-mail address as it's important to my business.

Michael

=====
Michael James Pinto | http://www.vm.com