Re: UPPERCASE surname?

From: Josip Rodin <joy@gkvk.hr>
Subject: Re: UPPERCASE surname?
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 01:32:58 +0100

> I think if the document is in English, then English style is just fine.
> The uppercase stuff may be appropriate in e.g. French, but I don't believe
> there's any rule in English that requires it.
>
> Also, writing whole words uppercase is a sign of yelling in electronic
> communication channels which a lot of us are accustomed to.

I see, but I will continue to write my name as "Tomohiro KUBOTA" in
"From:" mail headers and so on.  I won't force others to follow my
way.

> By default, the first part is the name, and the second part is the surname.
> There would only be confusion if someone wrote "Kubota Tomohiro", and I
> don't see why anyone would do that.

Though we rarely need to know which part is given name and which part
is surname, it is not safe to assume there is a "default".  Though I
everytime write my given name first and surname next in Alphabet
transcription, I don't know about other Japanese or other peoples.

For example, the followings are a statistics of famous Japanese people,
though the results don't exclude Japanese web pages:

  surname   givenname  Google hits in  Google hits in
                       "s-g" order     "g-s" order
  Natsume   Soseki     3410            1700
  Kawabata  Yasunari   5410            5370
  Matsui    Hideki      594            6030
  Tokugawa  Ieyasu     6900            2010
  Oda       Nobunaga   5660            1650
  Ito       Hirobumi   1880             633
  Ozawa     Seiji      3150           25100
  (Mao      Tse-Tung  82700            1260)  * Chinese

I think you cannot "assume" givenname-surname order is "default".

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/