UPPERCASE surname?

Hi,

I found that webwml/english/News/weekly/2003/02/index.wml was modified
to de-capitalize a surname of a person (well, me).

http://cvs.debian.org/webwml/english/News/weekly/2003/02/index.wml.diff?r1=1.10&r2=1.11&cvsroot=webwml

I don't understand why uppercase surname is not accepted.  Uppercase
surname is widely used in academic world and it is useful to show which
part is the surname.  Especially, because of some confusion of Japanese
(and other east Asian?) way of writing their name in Alphabets
transcription (which Osamu Aoki mentioned recently), it is useful to
capitalize surname (though it is not used by everyone).

Though I am not enthusiastic enough to insist to modify the wml file
again, my concern is how my name (and other capitalized names) should
be handled when these names are newly written somewhere.  My opinion
is to respect their own way to write or the expression in the news
source.

PLEASE DON'T REQUIRE JAPANESE PEOPLE TO UNIFY THE WAY TO WRITE NAMES.
Such an argument continues more than 10 years in Japan.  Thus, the
only realistic solution is never to meddle.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/