Re: Consistent naming of release versions

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 08:21:19PM +0100, peter karlsson wrote:
> Currently, there are several conflicting uses of release names on
> www.debian.org. I would like w.d.o to lead and have some clear
> guidelines on how to write these names.
>
> For example, currently one can see both "potato" and "Potato", both
> "woody" and "Woody". I propose that the codenames should *always* be
> written with a capital letter, since they are all proper names. The
> only time they should be written without capital letters are in paths,
> for example apt.sources lines.

Actually, the proper ones are lowercased. The uppercased ones are result of
overzealous language correcting, I'd guess.

> Another issue is the use of the release statuses ("stable", "testing"
> and "unstable") both as proper names ("Use the package in stable") and
> as adjectives ("Use the package in the stable distribution"). I would
> like to see a consistent use here. It would make it a lot easier to
> translate it properly; are they supposed to be proper names (i.e not
> translated) or are they supposed to be treated like adjectives (i.e
> translated)?

This sometimes puzzled me, too. I agree we need more explanations whether
they're adjectives or nouns.

> Also, "testing" is not a very good choice of words, since that is not
> an adjective, but a verb, which makes it hard to translate contexts
> where "stable" and "unstable" are intermixed with "testing". I tend to
> rewrite those with an adjectivish word in my Swedish translations.

Whenever I write testing as in the distribution, I quote it. The name isn't
straightforward, anyway, it has a lengthy explanation...

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.