Re: RFC: renaming "Distribution"

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 07:53:25PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It is apparent that the term "distribution" is overloaded with meanings.
> We use it for the /distrib/ web page, and mention it in several other
> places, meaning at least two things. This is confusing for the newbies and
> needlessly requires thinking from those who aren't newbies ;)
>
> So, I think the /distrib/ page should be renamed. Not the URL (that's too
> much work :), but the title and the links, including the navbar image.

We should start by listing the terms we use and how we will use them.

Instead of giving terms and what I think they should mean, I will list
the items we need words for and people can have fun putting words to
them. :)

 - 2.2r3, 2.2r4, etc

 - the versions for each of the architectures (i386, arm, powerpc, etc)

 - stable, unstable, sid, testing (do these need a different term than
   2.2r3, 2.2r4, etc? At first glance you might think so, but do you
   really want people saying '2.2r3 release of debian released'?)

 - distributing debian (the current title of /distrib/ is
   'Distribution'. Ugh)

(Anything else we need a term for?)

One thing that would help is having a debian dictionary page. Key words
could have links to the appropriate entry in the dictionary the first
time they are used on pages for general consumption. This would have the
added benefit of forcing the translators to think carefully of how they
translate some key words and to then translate them consistently.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org