Re: HTML syntax errors

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 05:19:20PM -0500, James A. Treacy wrote:
> I have no idea what the author intended with the html for the following:
> ** Errors validating /org/www.debian.org/www/ports/alpha/news.en.html: ***
> Line 255, character 26:  document type does not allow element "DIV" here;
missing one of "APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME", "BUTTON" start-tag

structure is:  div --> p --> b
That means that lines 255 and 258:

<P><B><div align="center">Now that slink has been released, I'm changing the

should be replaced by:

</B></p></div>

> ports/powerpc/inst/apus.en.html and ports/powerpc/inst/prep.en.html
> have a tag <prgn>. No idea what that is.

It is an invention of the author, which doesn't exist in HTML; It seems that
he meant to tag program names in some way, and he must have thought that since
<prgn> is silently ignored by his browser, it was harmless. You can replace
tags and serve the same purpose.

> ports/powerpc/inst/install.en.html includes lines like the following:
> A little strange, but anything wrong with an empty row?

Cheers,
Jaime