Re: Moving euro to the front page?

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 08:34:24PM -0800, Tor Slettnes wrote:

> First off, the Euro sign is a detail as far as using Debian goes, even
> for European users.  It can probably be compared with generating
> characters like æ, ø, å, ä, ö, ü, ß, etc - except, of course, that it
> is a new sign.

	Not really. These characters can be represented equally well in
most programs since they are part of the latin1 character set. The euro
character means changing character set which some programs do not yet
handle (for more info see the Debian Euro Manual)

> Second of all, the 'euro-support' package is not part of a stable (or
> even testing) distribution yet.

	Yes, I'm waiting for it to get into testing (hopefully in a week?)
and write the announcement.

> Third, having it on the front page "permanently" would make this a
> euro-centric distribution.  We want to keep the front page as generic
> as possible, no?

	Well, there are more European developers than American :)
	In any case, since it is an issue that affects quite a number of
	our users (they will have to make/read documents with that
	character) I thought it was worth saying in the front page
	"we are euro-ready" for some time (4 months after jan 2001)
	like we already did with y2000 ("we are y2000 compatible")

> Why not make some of the documentation from the 'euro-support' package
> available via the Debian web site as well, and then announce the
> explicit support (if any) like any other news event?

	The documentation has been available on the web site for some
time, the package is only there for offline reading.

	Euro support is not new in Debian, that's why I'm reluctant to
give out a news item. I would rather announce "hey guys! Just in case you
wondered, Debian GNU/Linux is euro capable and provides support
for the euro character, for more information XXXX"

	Regards

	Javi