Re: request

On May 04, Sergio Brandano wrote:
>   itself; I believe I posted my message to the main listmaintainer. )

listarchives@packages.debian.org is an alias for the debian-www
mailing list.  So it is going to a mailing list.

>   I wish to explain my request in detail.
>
>   I am not happy about the way these (my) emails are used, as Debian
>   is acting as a publishing company. In fact, Debian is archiving,
>   indexing and allowing re-publication of these emails by third party
>   sites, and this goes *well beyond* the mere posting of an email to
>   a list of friends. As I own the copyrights of my emails,
>   I do not want Debian to copy and allow others to copy my emails.
>   This is a mere copyright issue, and Debian has been infringing my
>   copyrights.

If you could explain the nature of these emails and why you would not
want them archived, perhaps you would get a sympathetic hearing.

My gut reaction, though, is that our mailing lists are meant for the
free exchange of information and that any noncommercial use of those
messages should be permitted (if only under fair use).  If someone has
been taking messages from the Debian archive and deriving commercial
benefit from them without your consent, thereby profiting from your
copyrighted work, I suggest you take it up with them.  As it is,
you're asking for someone to spend several hours tracking down this
material (including any quotations thereof by other people) and I'm
not entirely certain that's a good use of our time, nor am I certain
that it sets a good precedent (as Josip commented in his response).

Chris (not speaking for the project as a whole, of course)
--
Chris Lawrence <cnlawren@olemiss.edu> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/

Instructor and Doctoral Student, Political Science, Univ. of Mississippi
208 Deupree Hall - 662-915-5949