Re: constraints != constrains

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 04:50:37PM -0700, James A. Treacy wrote:
> > I was translating free.wml when I found the word "constraints"
> > my dictionary tells me its meaning is related to "shame"...
> > I see it may be also related to repression but I found
> > "constrain" to be a lot more clear... is it a typo or was
> > it intentional?
>
> The context is:
>   While free software is not totally free of constraints it gives
>   the user the flexibility
>
> and my online dictionary gives the following definition of constraint:
>   constraint
>        n 1: the state of being constrained [syn: {restraint}]
>        2: a device that holds someone or something back from action
>           [syn: {restraint}]
>        3: the act of constraining
> Meaning 2 is sufficient here.

Let's throw in Webster's explanation, too:

  Constraint \Con*straint"\ (?), n. [OF. constrainte, F.
     constrainte.]
     The act of constraining, or the state of being constrained;
     that which compels to, or restrains from, action; compulsion;
     restraint; necessity.

     Syn: Compulsion; violence; necessity; urgency. -- Constraint,
          Compulsion. Constraint implies strong binding force; as,
          the constraint of necessity; the constraint of fear.
          Compulsion implies the exertion of some urgent impelling
          force; as, driven by compulsion. The former prevents us
          from acting agreeably to our wishes; the latter forces
          us to act contrary to our will.

I don't believe there's anything in that word that implies shame, otherwise
one of these dictionaries surely would have mentioned it.