Re: html 4.0 validation for the site.

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 09:24:35AM -0500, James A. Treacy wrote:
>       URI: http://www.debian.org/
>       Line 249, column 4:
>           <P><SMALL>
>             ^
>       Error: document type does not allow element "P" here; missing one of "APPLET",
>       "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME", "BUTTON" start-tag

How not useful error message. It actually doesn't like <p> inside <font>,
because tidy shows this:

% tidy -eq index.en.html
line 229 column 4 - Warning: missing </font> before <p>
line 229 column 6 - Warning: inserting implicit <font>
[snipped the <font>-is-bad-use-CSS and the other usual tidy spam]

However, that's not quite straightforward to fix because all that text
within <font></font> is in another file, the footer template. OTOH we could
just drop the helvetica font, there's no need to have that box font same as
the font in the other blue box, I just thought it would look consistent.

>       URI: http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
>       Last modified: Sun Nov 19 23:36:32 2000
>       Server: Apache/1.3.9 (Unix) Debian/GNU PHP/4.0.3pl1
>       Content length: 8755
>       Character encoding: iso-8859-1
>       Document type: HTML 4.0 Transitional
>
>   Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML parser.
>       Line 52, column 2:
>         <P><DT><A HREF="http://packages.debian.org/stable/";>View the packages  ...
>           ^
>       Error: document type does not allow element "P" here; assuming missing "DD" start-tag
>
>       Line 77, column 2:
>         <P><DT><A HREF="http://packages.debian.org/unstable/";>View the package ...
>           ^
>       Error: document type does not allow element "P" here; assuming missing "DD" start-tag

That's a hack to get more spacing between subsections of text. I guess we
have the same choice as with the issue recently discussed on the list:
either do the same thing with some nice CSS stuff, or make a hack that would
pass through HTML validity checkers. I'll do the latter, for now.

BTW strictly speaking, the "View the " part needs to be removed if it's
going to be a real definition (that's what <dl> is for) of stable and other
distributions.