Re: klecker.debian.org

On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 03:42:44PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > But the plan was to have everything related to web pages on one host, and
> > the upgrade to va was supposed to enable that. Now that it happened there's
> > no need to have the web pages build on master anymore, klecker can do it.
>
> Oh? Really? Hum, I didn't know that..

The web team has been trying to do that for months now :| Remember when jt
and me asked you on IRC about lully's bandwidth?

> What exactly did you want to centralize?

We'd like to build the pages, display them and mirror them on one host.
klecker.d.o can do all of that, because it's a fast machine (it builds the
wmls about 4 times faster than master, even), and because it's got enough
bandwidth to be the main WWW server.

Previously we had to do some silly stuff because of mirroring, like wgetting
the FAQ-O-Matic pages from va.d.o, and then mirror them back because if they
were only on va.d.o, other toplevel mirrors wouldn't have them...

lists archives and bugs pages aren't an issue -- they're both rather
independent of the main site now.

I was talking to elmo and shaleh on IRC about klecker having a FTP mirror
the other day. I suggested remotely mounting download.sourceforge.net's
archive because it's just one hop away, but they didn't like it because that
machine may move to another network so NFS-mounting wasn't a good idea.

So, a FTP mirror on klecker seems a reasonable solution.