Re: Countries and some changes to the vendor page

On Mon, Mar 29, 1999 at 12:03:21PM +1000, Craig Small wrote:
> G'day All,
>   Well I thought someone has stolen my country names but it seems there
> is a new template file for them.
>
> I was wondering if there is a restriction on the country name tags in
> that you cannot use them inside containers, like

The usage above is exactly how they are intended to be used. It was simply
an oversight that the countries were never converted in the .wml file.
It has been rectified. Now I just hope no translators try to translate
the country names in vendors.wml.

> Also as I have added about four or so new countries to the CD vendors
> list, I'm wondering if we need another CD type tag, something like
> "local language" or something generic like that, instead of
> "russian language extensions"...

I'm not sure what the best way to handle this is.

Now that it is being made easier to translate the boot disks, we should be
seeing an increasing number of Official Debian CD sets being sold in different
languages. We need to denote this in the listings. How about something like
the following:

   CD Type: Official CD (English, Spanish) (reseller)

There is already a large list of language names in languages.wml. If there
is a desire to access them I'll split them into their own file. Use would
then be (totally untested):

#use wml::debian::language_defs
<:= $trans{$CUR_ISO_LANG}{desired_language} :>

> Finally, do people think the books should be moved to a separate page
> and standardised somewhat like the CD entries?

Yes. The intention was that books would be given their own page once there
were enough of them. It's up to you to decide when that has happened.

Jay Treacy