Re: Problems with localized Pages

On Sat, Feb 13, 1999 at 12:02:57AM -0500, James A. Treacy wrote:
> I haven't had a chance to look at how the security pages were set up, but
> most parts of the security pages can be set up for automatic translation,
> similar to how the template files are done. The textual parts of the page,
> giving a description of the problem, would be written in English with the
> various translations initially using the english text. The bulk of the page,
> consists of standard objects for which translations are already defined.
> When a translation updates a page, it replaces the English text in the
> slice(*) for that language to the translated text.

I'm a little leery of this. I'm not sure that we want automatic
translations of things that could be serious issues. Sometimes the
instructions can get fairly complicated and I wouldn't want to run to
risk of bablefish-ing them. (E.g., "disable such-and-such if this other
thing is true, otherwise you'll be ok but you should try to get the new
version as soon as it comes out to avoid future problems.")

Mike Stone