Re: search.debian.org is online

Hi,

From: csmall@enc.com.au (Craig Small)
Subject: Re: search.debian.org is online
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 21:56:58 +1100

> > I meant that Korean uses two-byte characters but DOES have spaces between
> > woreds and should be ok now.  (Chinese and Japanese use two-byte characters
> > and DON'T have spaces between words.)
>
> Can someone who has a Korean keyboard confirm this?  Bit hard for me to
> check this on my US 101 keyboard.

Sorry, I meant, by the word "should be ok now", that Korean is not
affected by the problem 1 and would be OK now if the problem 2 were
not exist.

( 1. handling of two-byte characters )
( 2. extraction of words from sentences without whitespaces )

I checked by the following procedure:

1. display http://www.debian.org/index.ko.html by some browser
2. copy some korean word from the page
3. open a new browser window and display http://search.debian.org/
4. paste the korean word into the search form
5. execute search

The following is a result of searching a Korean word "Korean language".
It gave one result.
http://search.debian.org/?q=%ED%95%9C%EA%B5%AD%EC%96%B4&ps=10&o=0&m=all&g=

The following is a result of searching a Korean word "news".  Though the
word appears at http://www.debian.org/index.ko.html , the result is zero.
http://search.debian.org/?q=%EC%83%88%EC%86%8C%EC%8B%9D&ps=10&o=0&m=all&g=

Thus, search for Korean words has the same problem (problem 1) as
Japanese search has, besides Korean language uses whitespaces between
words (i.e., problem 2 doesn't exist).

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/