Re: Trying to get conclusions from Debian Women Statistics

On 26 August 2010 05:12, Miriam Ruiz <miriam@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Looking at the graph at http://wiki.debian.org/DebianWomen/Statistics
> has made me think. The blue line is increasing at a some speed (about
> 3 or 4 first uploads per year), what means that we're constantly
> having new women doing packaging stuff. On the other side, the red an
> yellow lines don't seem to move too much, what means that we are not
> being able to convert those first uploaders into DDs or DMs. I wonder
> if those first uploaders keep contributing without turning into DDs or
> DMs, or if they just get tired and go away. Would it be possible to
> also have some data comparing the dates of the first upload and last
> upload, and maybe the number of uploads in-between to see if they
> might provide an answer? I also wonder about the same graph for all
> the contributors to the project, whether the increase rates and the
> conversion between first uploads and the number of DDs, DMs (or NMs)
> are comparable. Would it be possible to try to get some indicators
> from the statistics in the way I'm mentioning? It might provide clues
> about the most effective measures to take.
>
> Greetings and thanks,
> Miry
>
> PS: I wish I was an expert analyzing social statistics, but I'm not,
> so if anyone is proficient enough in that area, I'd definitely like to
> hear their opinions

Hi Miry

I think the stats definitely show  how much the Debian Women project
has encouraged women to at least try some part of the Debian project
experience.

It seems a shame that not so many of the women who do try Debian go on
to convert to a DD account so maybe it would be good to know what prevents
people from persisting through the system toward DM status - there is a time
commitment  and they may not feel they can support that time over a
longer term or we may find they just wanted to see if they could do it as a
personal achievement but were never interested in DM status and beyond.

So I'd say see if some people who aren't going forward will answer questions
on why not.

As  Steve's points out, we also have no non-gender specific stats on
the 'churn rate'
i.e. the number of uploaders compared to the number that progress to DM.
It would be interesting to know that on a complete Debian project basis and then
perhaps on a per sub-project basis as well.

>From my point of view - as someone without DD/DM status - the  process
seems quite formal and quite daunting to go through.  I'm not saying we should
seek to change it because it works and the Debian project gets those that are
prepared to make a committment.

It might be far worse for Debian to encourage the churn rate to affect
the DD stats.

--
Kind Regards

Lesley Binks