Re: Let's work together!

Le mercredi 25 octobre 2006 19:17, sean finney a écrit :
> hi romain,

	Hi !

> On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 18:32 +0200, Romain Beauxis wrote:
> > For mediawiki, we are about to produce a package helping admin setting up
> > multisite installation when the original software was not designed for
> > it...
>
> i don't know a lot about mediawiki, so i don't know the background about
> why mediawiki would have trouble in a multi-instance  installation.

[...]
> to be honest this sounds a little over-engineered.  is there any reason
> you couldn't have something like:
>
> excuse my pseudo-php :)

Yes, anything involving patching the application should work.
However, patching has several drawbacks that makes it very tuff to handle, at
least up to my experience:
* Patches have to be applied for each new release, and for a major release,
this can be a real pain.
* It may introduce security issues
* Such patches then make the installation distribution dependant.
* They involve some action by the admin to create each new instance of the
application.

On the other hand, it is true that it sounds over-engineered, but, to the cost
of this -- allready done BTW :) -- we get that:
* We have multisite using exactly the original code for instalation
* This can be used by each user without the need of an admin
* Each of the multisite files get updated with every main update, which can
also save a lot of time..

Now I agree that a solution using fuse cannot be a general solution, but I
think this one has some good properties though..

Romain
--
There is a land far, far away
Where there's no night, there's only day