Re: PHP Policy Draft: API version

Le Jeu 27 Avril 2006 12:34, Olly Betts a écrit :
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 06:25:16PM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> > Le Mar 25 Avril 2006 04:34, Olly Betts a écrit :
> > > I have one question - why do you set:
> > >
> > > Depends: phpapi-XXXXXXXX, phpN-common
> > > [...]
> >
> > because it's a binary module
>
> Sorry, I'm still rather in the dark.
>
> Is the logic that the "phpapi" number describes source level
> compatibility, and that two PHP major versions could theoretically
> support the same "phpapi" version but not be binary compatible?

Not really, phpapi-XXXXXX is the ABI the module has been built against.
and when a php release change its phpapi version, every single binary
module has to be rebuilt.

when phpapi changes there is problems at least with:
 * the ABI (I suppose)
 * the path (php modules live in /usr/lib/php?/XXXXXXX)

hence the strict depends, because when the phpapi changes, the new php
does not even look in the old path (which is rather sane if ABI changed
enough ;p)
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit