Re: dh-make-php in unstable

On 9:38:31 am 08/24/05 uwe@steinmann.cx (Uwe Steinmann) wrote:
> We definitely don't want extra versions of dh-make-php but I actually
> do not want a cmdline switch for dh-make-php, neither.
> The source package shouldn't be different for php4 or php5, it's just
> the way the binary package is build. Though, the difference lies in
> calling phpize4/php-config4 or phpize5/php-config5.
> I pursuit a version of dh-make-php which creates a rule file, which
> can build both and create two binary packages just as Matt has
> proposed already. There maybe a cmdline option of dh-make-php which
> supresses a php4 or 5 version.

I just submitted a patch to dh-make-php in the BTS which seems to be
working.. it probably needs further testing, but I've successfully used it
to build PECL modules for both php4 and php5 which install and work as
expected.  (There may be a cleaner way to accomplish this in debian/rules;
I'm no make expert..)

It does include a command-line switch to dh-make-pecl to only build support
for one or the other in the module source package; the only reason I think
this would be useful is for modules that simply don't work in one version
or the other - generally the source package should probably build both;
having php4-dev and php5-dev installed alongside doesn't seem to cause any
harm.  (I've noticed some of the package.xml files list version
compatibility, though not always in a useful way; it might be worth trying
to extract that and deciding there..)

Thanks,
Matt