Re: dh-make-php in unstable

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 02:48:15AM -0400, sean finney wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 08:01:00AM +0200, Uwe Steinmann wrote:
> > > I have a really simplistic patch right now that creates a dh-make-php5
> > > package, which can then be used to create php5-specific source packages for
> > > extensions (really only looking at PECL atm; the PEAR discussion is
> > > interesting, but somewhat unrelated).  I think having a single source
> > > package per module that can build separate binary packages (ie. source
> > > php-{module} -> php4-{module} and php5-{module}) is a better solution
> > > (you'd have to build the entire source twice).
> > I just don't know how to do it. It's probably all a question of a
> > modified rules file. Does anybody know a package which does a similar
> > thing?
>
> sure.  if i understand you correctly, the nagios packages do something
> like this.  there's a source package nagios, which generates a
> nagios-text, nagios-mysql, and nagios-pgsql using such a method.
Thanks, I look at it.

> fwiw, i don't think we need a dh-make-php4 and dh-make-php5, but
> instead ought to just havea  cmdline flag to specify the version
> or something...
We definitely don't want extra versions of dh-make-php but I actually
do not want a cmdline switch for dh-make-php, neither.
The source package shouldn't be different for php4 or php5, it's just
the way the binary package is build. Though, the difference lies in
calling phpize4/php-config4 or phpize5/php-config5.
I pursuit a version of dh-make-php which creates a rule file, which
can build both and create two binary packages just as Matt has
proposed already. There maybe a cmdline option of dh-make-php which
supresses a php4 or 5 version.

  Uwe

--
  MMK GmbH, Universitaetsstr. 11, 58097 Hagen
  Uwe.Steinmann@mmk-hagen.de