Re: RFC: Paths for PHP extensions and libraries

sean finney wrote:

extension_dir = "/usr/lib/php/5.1/20041030:/usr/local/lib/php/5.1:/usr/local/lib/php"

again, seems pretty reasonable, though i don't know as much about
what will happen if a non-forwards-compatible binary is found in
the versionaless directory.  any idea?

Forgot to say. At present, *ANY* hand-compiled extension won't be a forwards-compatible binary. I've not seen any talk on php-dev about a move to make extensions forwards-compatible at all either. As far as I understand it, this is because extensions are built around the zend api number, so checks are performed on the loading of the module to make sure the api numbers match. If they don't, or no api version number is found then the module isn't loaded and a warning given out.