Re: wanna-build deployment for derivatives?

+++ Tim Retout [2012-02-13 11:59 +0000]:
> Hi,
>
> At my day job, we are attempting to set up wanna-build, buildd and
> sbuild to support our (currently) in-house Debian derivative.
>
> However, we had some trouble with wanna-build - we could not find
> up-to-date deployment documentation, and had to figure out various
> hardcoded paths.

I've just been looking at this too. I found that for simple buildds
it's a lot simpler to tell people to use rebuildd+reprepro, but of course
that's not smart enough for all applications and makes interaction
with things like pgstatus that expect the wanna-build database format,
awkward.

> So:
>
>  * Is there a wanna-build deployment guide that we can use?
>  * Would you be interested in contributions that make wanna-build
> easier to deploy?  (e.g. an INSTALL file, or reducing the number of
> hardcoded filenames... whatever in-house changes we come up with,
> basically)

I think lots of people would appreciate work done on this (I know I
would having just bailed on this exact issue), but: a related approach
here is the sbuild-db branch code in sbuild which is well on the way
to providing a much saner/more portable wanna-build implementation. My
(admittedly not very well-informed) feeling is that work on this/docs
for this will be more fruitful in the medium term in enabling
easily-reproducible/configurable buildd setups.

Roger is the expert here...

Wookey
http://wookware.org/