Re: Bikeshedding

Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@debian.org> writes:

> I suppose requiring that they be pull-mirrored to Salsa might make
> sense, but requiring that the primary place of development for Debian
> packaging actually be in Salsa would present an obstacle for some of my
> current packages.  Of course, that would mean that direct commits to the
> Salsa project in such an instance would be problematic.

One of the great things about Git is that there's really no such thing as
a "primary place of development" since every clone of the repository is
equal and it's nearly trivial to push a repository to multiple remotes.  I
suppose it could be a statement about process, but if we fleshed out the
idea some more, I suspect the most it would mean is that maintainers have
some responsibility to review PRs on Salsa (at least to the level that
they are responsible for looking at minor bug reports in the BTS), which
doesn't seem too unreasonable or onerous.

We may want to do some work on the notification process based on some past
threads, unless that's already been sorted out.  I've been surprised a few
times by discovering PRs or merged diffs for packages under the Debian
free-for-all-area because I hadn't figured out the right way to subscribe
to email notifications for such things.  (The surprise was pleasant, to be
clear, and I have no objections to the process; I just accidentally
uploaded one package without those fixes because I didn't realize they
existed and only found out after attempting to push my local repository.)

I keep all of my work on my own Git server for a variety of reasons, but
also push all upstream work to GitHub and much Debian work to Salsa, and
would have no objections to pushing more Debian work to Salsa.  Git isn't
great at handling multiple remotes out of the box, but I wrote one bit of
software (that I'm pretty close to releasing) to help make that easier,
and I'm sure more could be done.  It's already 90% of the way to being
automated, at which point it's essentially trivial to replicate the Git
repository to one more place.