Re: Question to Martin: How are your Grants and Paid DPL Proposals Differnt than Dunc-Tanc

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 02:10:13PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
> It seems like having the Debian Project and DPL working to get more
> paid developers might run into some of the same issues.  In particular
> there might be a perception that there would be two classes of
> developers and that volunteers would be frustrated/disappointed they
> were not getting paid.

As a random factoid related to this: in the Debian contributors survey
that we ran a while ago, ~18% of the respondents who declared to be
Debian contributors also declared to be paid (at least in part) for
their contributions [1].

So I'd argue that what you suggest as a risk might already be the case
today, we just don't talk about. (Which is IMHO the worst case scenario,
because the information about who is paid and who isn't kinda flies
under the radar, increasing the risks of undue employer influence on the
project.)

Cheers

[1]: raw / preliminary results are at
     https://upsilon.cc/debian-survey-2016/preliminary-analysis.html ; a
     more detailed paper is currently under review.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli . zack@upsilon.cc . upsilon.cc/zack . . o . . . o . o
Computer Science Professor . CTO Software Heritage . . . . . o . . . o o