Re: Q to all candidates: Universal Operating System

On 15347 March 1977, Jose Miguel Parrella wrote:

To add to this question:

Do candidates think Debian "competes" for "share"/"mindshare" of users
and contributors in the "Linux distro" category?

Whenever I get asked (especially at events) "I'm a new linux user, do
you recommend Debian" or "I'm new, why should I use Debian", the answer
is not "Yeah, use Debian because of..." but "I use Debian, like it, and
can recommend it, but you should look around. Either your friends, or
your local Linux user group. Find out what they use, thats what you
should use. If thats Debian, great. If not, Debian may be something for
you later, but as a start you want something where you have local people
to ask about".

And yes, Debian competes for users and also contributors. The more
users, the more such users as above. Also the more contributors. And
there is a limited resource of users, so everyone more is better.

And if so, what do they think users and contributors expect from a
"universal" distro in 2020? Do we think it even matters, or is it
being reimagined?

First off they expect a working system.

Do candidates think that Debian has far more technical deliverables than
packages in a repo plus installers? And if so, do candidates think the
organizational structure [1] accurately reflects this? Would DPL
candidates propose changes to the organizational structure? How would
they use, for example, delegations to re-shape the org structure?

I dont think that structure is set in stone, nor am I bend on changing
it a lot. Wouldn't work anyways in a project like ours. It takes time
and people.

--
bye, Joerg