Re: Questions about "Winding down my Debian involvement"

Hi Sam,

thanks a lot for your fast reply.

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 06:17:00AM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
> I have read it as well.

(I forgot to mention that Martin has obviously read it since it was
even linked in his platform. :-) )

> I am disappointed when people leave bitter and disheartened.
> I specifically talked about my hopes for reducing that and addressing
> some of the decision frustration in my platform.

+1

> I'd be happy to drive that discussion if elected DPL.
> Could I count on your support in helping write up some of the
> explanations of why actually having a policy that anticipated debhelper
> would benefit people who work on multiple packages?

Yes, you (or whoever wants to takle this) have my support.

> Now, I cannot promise a particular outcome: that's for the project to
> decide.  However, I think even coming tho closure and learning that we
> don't want to mandate debhelper >9 would be a huge win.  We'd hopefully
> learn why people feel that way and we would have closure.

ACK.

>     Andreas>   2. I consider packaging in Git on salsa.debian.org a big
>     Andreas> move forward to some unified workflow for Debian packaging
>     Andreas> (thanks to Salsa admins by the way).  Do you see any chance
>     Andreas> to convince maintainers to maintain their packages on
>     Andreas> salsa.d.o as a recommended development platform.
>
> That's another discussion I'm interested in driving.
> This one was already on my  "I bet we want to spend some time there"
> list.
> I think that discussion will be more involved than  the debhelper
> discussion.

I admit I do not have any idea what discussion will be more involved but
I guess both will be tough and I hope a lot of fans of Nonviolent
Communication will join.

> I'm not going to go into a lot of specifics on how I'd drive that
> discussion though.  I think I still need to do some of my homework and
> talk to people who have driven part of that discussion in the past.  I
> also think getting to stuck in the details is not the point of the
> campaign period.

ACK.

Thanks again

      Andreas.