Re: Debian Project Leader Elections 2019: Call for nominations

On 2019-03-13 15:13:33, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
> (Dropping Chris from CC: as he is subscribed to -vote)
>
> On 2019-03-12 16:55, Paulo Henrique de Lima Santana wrote:
> >
> > Mehdi, would you like to run again?
> > I saw you run in 2017 and you have experience as DPL.
> >

> I am really not sure what people are expecting from the DPL. My past
> experience showed me that expectations varied a lot between different
> groups/team/persons. Having a DPL elected doesn't mean people agree
> with his/her program.
>
> I am not sure what kind of governance the project needs today. We should
> collectively think about this before rushing someone to invest all his
> emotional and physical energy for one year.

From my reading of the DPL bits, and if I remember correctly, there are
a few of what seems to be separate areas:

- delegations
- finances (approving BSPs, hardware, sponsoring people with visas,
  etc.)
- dealing with external organisations (although not sure exactly what,
  but press/articles, discussions about copyrights sometimes, maybe
  conferences?, etc.)
- dealing with internal escalations/de-escalating issues

Now, I don't follow debian lists very consistently, but I try to read
the bits and what surprised me was the reasonable consistency of at
least these areas over the past ~year or so I restarted keeping up with
things.

If this is the case, then I don't see how, for example, the first two
areas couldn't be delegated to some committees, maybe the third one as
well, and only keep the DPL role as ultimate arbiter/deadlock breaker.

Apologies if I'm wildly off-track, but that's the pattern that I saw in
the notes :)

iustin