Re: Q to candidates: reporting frequency

On 23/03/2017 21:20, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> Dear candidates, what do you think it's the appropriate frequency for
> reporting back to the project about what the DPL is doing?
>
> Certainly, reporting often is time consuming and divert time from
> actually *doing* stuff, rather than documenting what has been done. But
> OTOH reporting seldomly ends up giving the impression that the DPL isn't
> doing much except to those that, for whatever reason, end up interacting
> (privately) with him/her. Where do you think is the sweet spot in this
> spectrum?

I have tried to do monthly reports about my activity as DPL. It is not an
easy task. Some subjects take a long time and it doesn't make sense (at
least to me) to report about its micro-progress (because its status might
be fragile or progress made is not significant enough). Some subjects are
easy (or turn out to be easier than one could imagine) and are resolved
quickly. My preference in the future would be to report about one subject
on a monthly basis, and in the form of a blog post (e.g. on bits.d.o so that
it is archived there). I believe this approach has two advantages:
- reaching out to more readers than debian developers only (and few others
  subscribed to d-d-a)
- more efficient communication (one subject, not diluted in a long text).

--
Mehdi