Re: GR proposal: code of conduct

On Wed, Mar 05, 2014 at 05:53:48PM +0000, Neil McGovern wrote:
> Seconded, but I'd also like a couple of amendments which I'll add in
> another mail.

And here's those amendments.

Amendment A - move mailing list CoC text to "further reading"
Justification: I think that it's better to keep the CoC as a general
purpose document, rather than have it specific to each medium. The
information at http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/#codeofconduct is
still useful as it stands.

I'm hopeful Wouter will accept this one, as I don't think it
substantially changes the CoC.

---------
    participants to its mailinglists, IRC channels, and other modes of
    communication within the project.

-2. The initial text of this code of conduct replaces the "mailinglist
-   code of conduct" at http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/#codeofconduct
-
-3. Updates to this code of conduct should be made by the DPL or the
+2. Updates to this code of conduct should be made by the DPL or the
    DPL's delegates after consultation with the project, or by the Debian
    Developers as a whole through the general resolution procedure.

-4. The initial text of the code of conduct follows, in markdown format.
+3. The initial text of the code of conduct follows, in markdown format.

 # Debian Code of Conduct

[snip]
 - Debian has a [diversity statement](http://www.debian.org/intro/diversity)
 - The [Debian Community Guidelines](http://people.debian.org/~enrico/dcg/)
   by Enrico Zini contain some advice on how to communicate effectively.
+- The [Mailing list code of
+  conduct](http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/#codeofconduct) is useful for
+  advice specific to Debian mailing lists
---------

Amendment B - Updates to the CoC should be via developers as a whole
Justification - I believe that this document should have the strength of
being a whole project statement. Being able to be updated by a single
person doesn't feel comfortable with me.

I'm less convinced Wouter will accept this, but I think it should be on
the ballot!

---------
 2. The initial text of this code of conduct replaces the "mailinglist
    code of conduct" at http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/#codeofconduct

-3. Updates to this code of conduct should be made by the DPL or the
-   DPL's delegates after consultation with the project, or by the Debian
-   Developers as a whole through the general resolution procedure.
-
-4. The initial text of the code of conduct follows, in markdown format.
+3. The initial text of the code of conduct follows, in markdown format.

 # Debian Code of Conduct
---------

Thanks!
Neil