Re: Question to all candidates: How would you enforce Debian Community Guidelines?

Le Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 05:55:35PM +0100, Hector Oron a écrit :
> Hello,
>
>   First of all congrats to all candidates and thanks for stepping up
> for doing this task.
>
>   Secondly, I was wondering how Debian could make it easier for people
> to contribute than other (derivatives and non-derivatives)
> distributions. I came up with a really nice draft howto[1] which I
> would like to bring up to your attention, so the basic question would
> be what do you think you could do to make contributions paths easier
> (take in account not all teams, groups follow such community
> guidelines)
>
> Kind regards and good luck ! :-)
>
> [1] http://people.debian.org/~enrico/dcg/

Dear Hector,

this is a very interesting reading that I overlooked. I see it more like a
turorial than a document to refer to when commenting about other person's
behaviour.

My main worry is that, the more complex the guidelines are, the more
meta-discussion they generate if they are used as rules. Just see the quantity
of traffic dedicated to complain about email carbon copies, for instance… (In
theory, this particular problem has been solved smartly by Raphaël, but in
pactice this update of our mailing lists's code of conduct is often ignored.)

If I would have the time to propose a an additional section to Enrico's
guidelines, it would be to warn against topical isolation. It is more fun, and
we are stronger, when we collaborate in building interdependant works.

When I started to involve myself in Debian, I wanted to create a
‘Debian-Biology’ effort but Andreas Tille convinced me to join Debian Med
instead. I never regreted it.

Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan