Re: To all candidates: personal mentoring

Le Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 12:15:45AM +0100, Serafeim Zanikolas a écrit :
> Dear candidates,
>
> I do realise that personal mentorship takes time; that's a reason to set
> criteria [1] and thresholds on who gets to have a mentor [2], instead of not
> considering the idea all together.
>
> I'd think that, in addition to encouraging more contributors to commit, this
> would also improve Debian's perception as a welcoming place, and new
> contributors' feeling of belonging to the project ("would anybody even notice
> if I were ran down by a bus?")

Dear Serafeim,

I just proposed to simplify the procedures to become a member of the Debian
project. But I have good memories of the interactions of my application manager
when I was asking to become a Debian Developer.

I think that the current NM (New Maintainer) process is a significant
investment of time on possible new members. Even if the procedures for
membership are changed, the concept could be kept as a mentoring system like
the one you propose.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy,