Re: To all candidates: personal mentoring

Hi!

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Serafeim Zanikolas <serzan@hellug.gr> wrote:

> With respect to attracting new contributors, please ponder the idea of a
> formal one-on-one mentoring scheme (as opposed to one-off interactions via
> d-mentors).

There's been a mentoring program inside the Debian Women project since
2004.  This program got a few people at the beginning, but very soon
we were out of mentees.  There was an attempt to revive it at some
point, but the problem was the same, there weren't enough mentees.

However, I do think that it's a good idea, and maybe the lack of
interest was due to lack of enough "marketing" about the program.  I
agree that it could be a good thing to try out in order to get more
people to help in Debian.

This idea, as well as many other ideas that we are discussing during
the campaign, doesn't actually require the DPL intervention.  What's
needed to put this into motion is a group of potential mentors, a
point of contact for the potential mentees, and a webpage or the like
to advertise the program.  Anyone with enough motivation can start it.

--
Besos,
Marga