Re: Question to all Candidates: Project Funds and donations

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 12:02:59AM +0100, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this question goes to all candidates:
>
> The Debian Project receives quite a number of monetary donations as well
> as contributions in kind via several umbrella organization like SPI,
> ffis, debian.ch, etc.
>
> a) What do you think are valid goals to spend this money on?

I'd prefer not to commit to a specific list, since there'll always be
something I'll miss, but good examples include things like "holding
meetings", or "buying hardware that we need but that we don't get
donated". I don't think we should buy all our hardware (we have many
people who are happy to donate a piece of equipment, much more so than
money), and I don't think having money on the bank will harm the
project in any way.

> b) How would you think is a valid way to thank (hardware) contributors?

That very much depends on the contributors, and on the motives for their
contributions. We should probably start off by saying "Thank you for
your contribution. Now is there something we can do in return?"

E.g., if hardware or bandwidth donators want us to publically state
their name somewhere, we can do that. If there are people who've
contributed massive amounts of, er, "stuff", for years, we can probably
do something more.

> b) What qualifies a contributor to become a "Debian Partner"? What
>    qualifies a "Debian Partner"?

I don't think we have a formal list of "Debian Partners" (but I could be
wrong). I'm also not convinced we need one.

If we do have such a list that I'm not aware of, it might be a good idea
to see if it's working well. I don't think I'll be working much in this
area, however.

trying to fool the system.