Re: Question for all candidates: Care of Core infrastructure

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 03:45:46PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Marc Haber wrote:
> >   - The concept of "all services are immediately started after
> >     configuration" and "deleting all stop/start links will cause the
> >     package's defaults to be re-established on the next package update"
> >     is meeting a lot of resistance in the user base lately. Many people
> >     use this as explanation why Debian is totally out of the question in
> >     a professional environment for them.
>
> Is there some reason that these professional environments cannot deploy
> a 2 line policy-rc.d? Perhaps someone should make a no-auto-start-daemon
> package that contains it?

Maybe we failed to provide such a "two-liner", which in fact is,
unfortunately, much more complicated than one might think naively.
Additionally, example code for policy-rc.d is (almost?) nonexistent.

Greetings
Marc

Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 3221 2323190