Re: Question to all Candidates: Heated discussions

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 11:40 PM, Dmitrijs Ledkovs
<dmitrij.ledkov@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you think current frequency/amount of heated discussions is
> acceptable for the Debian project?

Even though the mailing lists climate is much better than what it was
5 years ago, I think that it still sometimes gets too aggressive, and
when it does, it reduces the 'fun' factor, thus reducing productivity.

> What would you do to reduce those?

I think that the most important thing is keeping a positive climate.
Appreciating what the other person has said and done before starting
to criticize.  We can't hammer this into people, but we can teach by
example.  Also, when a discussion becomes a flamewar, I think it's
useful to talk privately to the parts involved and ask them to stop
for a moment to see the big picture.

I think that the flamewar problem is rooted in an old concept that
Debian is ok with flamewars.  The only way to get rid of this concept
is getting people that participate in flamewars to understand that
Debian is NOT ok with them.  We could do this with a renewed Code of
Conduct as has been proposed over and over these past years, but I
think that social pressure is much more effective than the Code of
Conduct itself.

--
Besos,
Marga