Supermajority requirements and historical context [Was, Re: First call for votes for the Lenny release GR]

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 12:48:43PM +0200, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 04:36:59PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > if a majority of voters vote that we should put
> > Nvidia drivers in main, then your fundamental problem is that you have a
> > majority of people (or at least, voters) in Debian who think it's ok to put
> > Nvidia drivers in main.  Your only real choices, then, are to persuade them
> > that they're wrong, live with it, drive them off, or leave.

> > The other option you're proposing here, to prevent them from doing what they
> > want to unless they have a 3:1 majority, reduces to "coerce the majority to
> > do what you say they should do, even though they don't think you're right".

> > Do you really think that's a solution to the above pathological scenario?

> In my eyes, this argument applies to any situation where a supermajority
> might be formally required, and in my opinion the corollary is that
> supermajorities are a bad idea in general.

> Do you agree with that corollary?  If not, why not?

Yes, I agree that supermajority requirements are a bad idea in general.

- They have unpleasant side-effects when coupled with Clone-proof SSD, by
  making certain types of strategic voting much more interesting to voters
  (i.e., strategizing about contributing to the quorum requirements for a
  particular option by voting it above or below FD when there's a mixture of
  supermajority requirements on a single ballot - precisely what I've seen
  discussed on Planet and IRC during the current voting round).

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2002/11/msg00343.html
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2002/11/msg00316.html

- Their nominal purpose is to prevent a tyranny of the majority, but in
  practice they only place limits on the /size/ of the tyrannic majority; a
  commitment to consensus-driven decision making, plus the right of any DD
  to propose any compromise amendment they want to, are a much better
  approach to preventing tyranny of the majority, and where these methods
  are ineffective supermajority requirements won't help either, so
  supermajority requirements are entirely superfluous from that POV.

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2002/11/msg00241.html

The only argument in favor of a supermajority requirement for foundation
docs that I found compelling at the time this was brought up for discussion
was the concept of "institutional stability":  if a particular change to the
DFSG doesn't enjoy *strong* support from a majority, there's a significant
risk of flip-flopping our Foundation Documents in a fairly short period of
time, as opinions in the project shift, and it's better to let the
Foundation Documents lag slightly behind opinion than to have a high degree
of churn in our highest-profile statements of principle.

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2002/11/msg00357.html
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2002/11/msg00264.html
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2002/11/msg00253.html
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2002/11/msg00266.html

This argument does IMHO not apply to making decisions about what Debian is
going to do.  We shouldn't take decisions to set aside the DFSG lightly, but
the *process* for arriving at a decision should be lightweight.  By that
standard, the past two months have been a failure on multiple levels.

P.S. A quote that I found amusing when going through old mail:

  "I don't agree with your assumption that we're not clever enough to think
  of a way of introducing supermajority requirements without sacrificing
  an important property of CpSSD."

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2002/11/msg00311.html