Re: First call for votes for the Lenny release GR

On Fri Dec 19 08:58, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 02:12:01PM +0000, Matthew Johnson wrote:
> > On Fri Dec 19 14:24, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>
> > > It is. Does the resolution say what the new version of the foundation
> > > document will look like if it's accepted ? If yes, then it supersedes the
> > > document. Otherwise it doesn't.
>
> > So, if someone proposes a GR saying "we will ship the binary NVidia
> > drivers in main and make them the default so that people can use compiz"
> > but doesn't say they are overriding the DFSG or provide the wdiff for it
> > then that's fine and only needs 1:1 to pass?
>
> Yes, that's perfectly fine - and also non-binding, so the 80% of the DDs who
> didn't vote, the 47% of the voters who voted against it, and the 2% of the
> voters who didn't read before voting can ignore that position statement and
> continue doing things just as they were before.

So... you're saying there's no point at all in such a GR? The GR says
"we will do X" but even after we pass it we still can't do X because it
would contravene the SC or DFSG? How is that a useful thing at all?
What's the point?

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson