For our own good: splitting the vote. Thoughts?

I hate complex ballots. They tend to work against the goal of a vote,
which is getting a crystal clear assessment on the opinions of the
Developers.

This vote is at 5 options already, with 2 more underway. I want to
propose, and get consensus on it, to logically split the vote in two or
three simple ballots, one for each of the orthogonal issues at hand.

These issues are (in the order they should be voted on):

  1. Do we require source for firmware in main.

     I don't think we have ever had this vote, and it's about time that
     we do, *without bundling it with somebody else*. This is Peter
     Palfrader's proposal at [1].

     This vote has two options in it.

  2. Do we allow the Release Team to use without a GR <suite>-ignore
     tags on bugs for violations of the SC.

     We haven't had this vote either, and it seems now it would be good
     to have it.

     This vote also has two options on it, eg. something akin to Andreas
     Barth's proposal [2] on one side, and Robert's reply [3] on the other.

  3. What do we do for Lenny.

     The necessity for this vote depends on the results of the two votes
     above, and I think it should have at most 3 options: delay Lenny
     until all firmware issues known by some date are solved: (a)
     allowing source-less, (b) not allowing source-less; or don't delay it.

I'm a bit lost as to what I could get done in order to have this go
forward, since there have been a lot of seconds for the various options.
I do think it would be a Good Thing. I'm CC'ing secretary@ and leader@
to see what they think.

I also think throwing amendments is a too cheap operation nowadays.

Thanks.

  [1]: http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2008/11/msg00117.html
  [2]: http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2008/11/msg00019.html
  [3]: http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2008/11/msg00086.html

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

If you want the holes in your knowledge showing up try teaching someone.
                -- Alan Cox