Re: Call for seconds: DFSG violations in Lenny (new proposal)

On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 04:13:58PM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > Andreas Barth schrieb:
> > > In case any of the proposals get enough seconds, I would propose then:

Since it seems that Andreas won't be ammending the text, I have been thinking
carefully about it.

I concluded that the implications are so severe that un-do two of the pilars
of the project.  On one hand, instead of working to produce a free OS, we'd be
working to produce an OS where being free is just an idealistic bonus.  On the
other, instead of a democracy, we would have an organization ruled by a few
selected individuals, against the will of the majority.

I'm responding to this by proposing the following alternate option:

| The Social Contract is our promise to the free software community.
|
| Neither the Release Team, nor any selected group of individuals, is
| empowered to ammend the Social Contract, or grant exceptions to it;
| Only the developers as a whole may do so, subject to the conditions in
| section 4 of the Constitution.
|
| We acknowledge that such exceptions have been granted in the past (for
| Sarge and for Etch), and that at the time of writing, a proposal that
| might grant a similar exception for Lenny is scheduled to be voted on.
|
| We encourage any developers who -now and in the future- feel that one such
| exception would be justified, to participate in its discussion and try to
| reach consensus that can be endorsed by the majority of the project.

Subject to the condition that, if my option gets enough sponsors, the Secretary
would accept including it with Andreas' in a separate ballot.

--
Robert Millan