Re: Firmware & Social Contract: GR proposal

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 01:24:13PM +0200, Frank K?ster wrote:
> So instead of trying ot change the way some developers and users think,
> we'd rather change our foundation documents?

Changing our foundation documents is a way of changing what developers
and users think. At the moment we claim on one hand that "Debian will
be 100% free", then on the other hand claim "oh, except for firmware
because we don't have time right now".

> In my opinion, a project like Debian is never ready, and never perfect.
> Everybody knows that we are not meeting the freedom goals in the SC to
> 100% (as well as other goals)[1].

If "everybody knows that", why are we discussing this at all -- if the
social contract is just something we'd like to achieve one day, like
world peace or an end to hunger, why do we need a general resolution to
acknowledge that we're not meeting it now?

> But I do not see this as a failure,
> rather as a challenge.  So why not try to explain this to the people,
> instead of lowering our standards?

Why not have the project have a process of continually raising and then
meeting its standards, rather than continually failing to meet them and
having to find some way to excuse it?

> We don't lower our standards with
> respect to software quality or security support, either, even if we do
> miss our goals.

We don't claim to have higher standards than we actually do for those
things either, though. Nor do we consider them "foundation documents".

Cheers,
aj