Re: Firmware & Social Contract: GR proposal

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 11:09:17AM +0200, Frank K?ster wrote:
> I do not in any way see this poll as an indication that we should revert
> the SC change, or that we have failed (in fact, we have succeeded to a
> large extent, just not 100%) or that we are being hypocritical.

Consider comments like:

] But decontaminating Etch will finally mean Debian can keep its promise
] to its users. *Some people* actually care about Debian being 100% free,
] others don't. Last time the release team just said 'ignore it for sarge,
] we'll fix it for the next one' and now that Etch is coming around people
] are saying 'just let it through again and we'll fix it in etch+1.'

    -- http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=31198#31198

Or:

] Absolutely ... delay the release. I may want some of that firmware,
] but if I do, I want it labelled "non-free" As has been noted above,
] the release date for etch is unimportant since everyone who wants it is
] using it already.
]
] As the old saying goes, "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall
] for anything." Debian stands for FOSS, and that's important.

    -- http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=31250#31250

Or, more to the point, articles like "Debian: too free?" (28/4/2004;
http://lwn.net/Articles/82536/) or "Resolved: firmware is not software"
(23/8/2006; http://lwn.net/Articles/196641/).

Personally, I find it absurd that we're acting in ways that mislead
people into thinking that focussing on freedom is incompatible with
producing a good system or delivering it on time.

It's exactly right to say we haven't failed -- we've made some huge
successes since sarge, and we've got more to come. But by having a social
contract that sets the bar higher than we can achieve, we keep having
these successes viewed as failures, both by ourselves and our users.

Cheers,
aj