Re: Democracy in Debian

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 04:09:04PM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > Presumably the decryption key could be unlocked after the election
> > and placed alongside the balots; since it should expire and be
> > revoked after the completion of the vote, this shouldn't pose much
> > of a problem.
>
> You'd want to avoid having that let people fake signed ACKs though,
> which would allow a hypothetical malicious developer to bring the
> mailbox presented into doubt. But I guess you could probably reveal
> the decyrption key without revealing the signing key, or just use
> subkeys for that purpose anyway.

Yeah, I was assuming that the signing ack key would be different from
the key used to encrypt messages to the mailbox (either via subkeys or
entirely different keys.) I don't really know if that's the case
though.[1] (I think we'd agree that the project would have far more
serious problems than an election in doubt if we ended up with this
happening. ;-))

Don Armstrong

1: I guess I don't really see the point to encrypt messages sent to
the voting software anyway for non-dpl elections... if you're going to
be in a position to use that data to vote stratigically, you're pretty
much sitting on the same machine that devotee is running on anyway.
--
The beauty of the DRUNKENNESS subprogram was that you could move your
intoxication level up and down at will, instead of being caught on a